Friday 8 January 2010

happy 75th birthday Elvis!



this may sound melodramatic, and i forgive you if you think me slightly loopy, but Elvis has given me many gifts; many moments that i treasure deeply.  from hours spent by the record player at the age of five, listening to Elvis Sings For Children (my first LP), tears streaming down my wee face whenever Old Shep came on, to walking down the isle in Graceland's Chapel to meet my husband at the alter, i share these moments and countless others in between, with the King. 



 there are many lessons to be learned from this martyred saint of the American dream. some by example, and others in caution.  i have loved him for his humanity, his beauty and his unique genius (that's right, i said genius), and i am still struck dumb by his divine voice.  a voice that radiates life, 33 years beyond his death. for this voice, these moments, and this life, i am forever grateful.  thank you Elvis. happy birthday wherever you are.

7 comments:

anne said...

i couldn't have said better! beautiful post.

you got married at graceland?! I didn't know you could do that! if you haven't already, you must post photos.

my husband and i are huge elvis fans as well. he use to cry as a child, every time he heard "in the ghetto" and he cried when he visited his grave at graceland.

the king lives!

anne said...

me again :) thanks for the link, i just checked it out. love the photo of the two of you, your dress is beautiful! that's just so cool! maybe we can renew our vows there. our 9 year anniversary is coming up.

Q's Daydream said...

tears!! So happy you did this post! elvis has brought so much to my life too. not a day goes by that i dont think of him or listen to a song or two. he has gotten me through so many hard times. whenever im sad, where ever i am, it never fails that elvis appears somewhere at the perfect time. TCB 4ever!

Poke Salad Annie said...

thanks so much for your comments. i have to admit, i teared up while writing this post.

MYCLOSETGARDEN said...

He was a wonderful singer! What a great post. Davy Jones is sorta of like that for me :)

http://inbugsdrawers.blogspot.com

Greetz from Tiz said...

I always say that Elvis is the man of my love...I love him since I was a child.His voice is unique.
Beautiful post.Thanx

Mary P. said...

He's a dreamy, dreamy man. I don't have many celebrity crushes, but he will always be no.1. His music always lifts me up - no matter my mood.