Wednesday 29 June 2011

yesterday's muse #25 - gitta schilling



Brigitta ("Gitta") Schilling was born in Berlin in 1936 into a world of war and poverty. her family faced many hardships - something she discusses in the 2010 documentary: Gitta Schilling - Timeless Beauty. at the age of 16, Gitta was discovered while walking in a local parade, and by 1958, she was dividing her time between Berlin, Florence, Paris and New York, working with the best designers and photographers, as one of the world's most famous fashion models.



from 1958 to 1964, Schilling graced the covers of numerous magazines, including Vogue and Madame, and was appointed 'ambassador of elegance' in Germany. after her modelling career, Gitta became a stylist in Monaco before eventually retiring to a private life.





Gitta now lives in Italy, and at 74 years old she remains an extraordinary beauty.




5 comments:

Eva said...

her skin is flawless! wouldn't it be awesome to be just walking along and be "discovered"?

http://bottleblack.blogspot.com

Rebecca said...

I love these photos. You blog is so gorgeous!

rebeccawithanR

Margarete said...

I used to model with Gitta in 1955 at Fredeking Modelle in Berlin, Meineke Strasse 25. I moved to the USA after I got married and lost touch. How can I contact her?

Poke Salad Annie said...

i'm sorry Margarete, but I have no idea how to contact her. I believe she's still in Italy somewhere, but I don't know for certain.

Silvia said...

Dear Margarete,

my name is Silvia Gorgi and i am an italian journalist. I know Gitta very well, i promoted her Documentary "Gitta: Bellezza senza tempo" in the last three years as press officer. You could contact me on facebook

http://www.facebook.com/silvia.gorgi